Qualifications at Abbey
We look at each individual pupil personally and plan with them a programme of study at key stage 4 that will support them for their next stage in life. For some of our pupils this means starting GCSE courses and sitting national examinations. For other pupils this means gaining a range of entry level qualifications in a whole range of subjects that will give them the starting blocks for learning they will need for the next part in their learning journey.
Wherever possible pupils at key stage 2 will be given the opportunity to sit SATS tests at the end of key stage 2. If the pupil is below what would score on the test, teacher assessments are made by the class teacher.
We believe examinations should be encouraged where the pupil gains something from completing them.
Pupils are offered qualifications, as appropriate, from the following:
- GCSE English
- GCSE maths
- GCSE science
- GCSE ICT (this will change after July 2017-18 to a new qualification)
- GCSE PE
- Entry Level Certificate in English
- Entry Level Certificate in maths
- Entry Level Certificate in science
- Entry Level Certificate in ICT
- A range of vocational qualifications matched to pupils’ aspirations